Let me preface by saying I’m by no means an expert. But after a year of being a mommy, I’ve learned the essential items I always need on hand for a baby. So with a baby shower coming up for a friend, I decided to go with a gift that I now know I would have loved to receive (and did!) when I was pregnant.
Though I didn’t get them for this particular gift, diapers top the list of what parents-to-be need the most. And not just the newborn size; babies grow quickly, so a variety of sizes are good to have on hand. Many of the items I picked out follow closely behind:
• Wipes: They’re not just for diaper changes. Wipes are handy to keep on the changing table, in a diaper bag or in a room of the house you’re in most. Babies can get messy from head to toe…fast.
• Baby Shampoo: And because babies get messy (and of course, in general, need baths), baby shampoo is an essential. It can be used on their hair and bodies, and you only need a small amount at a time. I still have bottles from gifts that I haven’t used, but will be in the coming year.
• Wash Cloths: They’re a bathtime staple and wash clothes for babies are made of soft fabric that’s gentle on a baby’s skin.
• Rubber Duckie: Ok, so he’s not an essential, per se, but he’s a fun toy for babies to play with at bathtime and a good way to teach the noise a duck makes. Sydney now kisses her rubber duck on his bill at the end of her baths.
• Baby Lotion: After the bath, baby lotion not only helps keep their skin soft, but applying it is also a good way to help babies relax before bedtime. And it smells good too!
• Diaper Rash Cream: Diaper rashes are unpredictable, for the most part. It’s just a good idea to have ointment like Desitin on hand when a rash pops up.
• Book: In my opinion, you can never have too many books. I think I’ve memorized the majority of Sydney’s books, so it’s always nice to get a new one to add into the mix. And she loves looking at the pictures, pointing things out and hearing fun stories.