Looking for the answers to the Sports Trivia quiz in our Jan/Feb 2015 issue? Look no farther!
1. What NCAA record held by former Cave Spring and Duke basketball star J.J. Redick of the NBA's L.A. Clippers was broken in 2014?
Travis Bader of Oakland University broke the NCAA record for most career 3-pointers made. Bader currently holds the record with 504 3-pointers made earlier this year (2014).
2. What was the name of Roanoke's first professional baseball team?
Most famous was the Roanoke Red Sox. However, history shows a team locally known as The Roanoke Magicians circa 1895. Information relating to the team is sketchy. Davey Crockett, age 19, was batting .222 that year.
3. Who was the first Roanoker to break into the big leagues in major league baseball?
Dave "Davey" Crockett was born on Tuesday, October 5, 1875, in Roanoke, Virginia. Crockett was 25 years old when he broke into the big leagues on July 11, 1901, with the Detroit Tigers.
How about the next two as well?
Rusty Peters was the 2nd, born on Monday, December 14, 1914, in Roanoke, Virginia. Peters was 21 years old when he broke into the big leagues on April 14, 1936, with the Philadelphia Athletics.
Al Holland was the 3rd, born on Saturday, August 16, 1952, in Roanoke, Virginia. Holland was 25 years old when he broke into the big leagues on September 5, 1977, with the Pittsburgh Pirates.
4. Who holds the most NASCAR Sprint Cup wins, starts, top 5's, and top 10's at Martinsville Speedway?
Richard Petty [15 wins]
5. What was the largest fish ever caught in competition at Smith Mountain Lake?
In 2012, Tom Gerakaris entered a 42.88-pound striper, the biggest fish of any kind ever registered in the lake's fishing contests.
6. Name any four of the 2014 inductees into the Salem-Roanoke Baseball Hall of Fame.
Scott Atkins – attended Glenvar H.S., coached at Andrew Lewis Middle School and later at Salem H.S.
Ray Ryan – Ryan was a minor league player, manager and owner associated with 41 teams. Founded the Appalachian and Mountain State Leagues. His award was accepted posthumously.
Jim Thacker – played at Liberty High School, coached at Jefferson Forest High School, in 1988 he wasnamed State AA Coach of the Year.
Sid Witt – cofounded in 1989 the first Challenger Little League Baseball program for this area for mentally and/or physically handicapped children to participate in sports.
7. Name any current PGA or LPGA professional that has played in and won the Scott Robertson Memorial Golf Tournament held annually at the Roanoke Country Club.
Hunter Mahan, Kevin Na and Webb Simpson and LPGA tour member Paula Creamer
8. Which sporting event set the highest attendance record at Victory Stadium ?
November 25th, 1948, VMI defeated Virginia Tech 33-7. An official count of 27,984 attended the game.
9. What is the current record for the fastest time (either male or female or both) at the annual Blue Ridge Marathon?
Male: Jeff Powers (age 31), Philadelphia, PA. Time: 2:52:24 (2014)
Female: Lorraine Young (age 40), Raleigh, NC. Time: 3:13:46 (2014)
10. In women’s ODAC lacrosse, what team did the Roanoke Maroons beat to give them the highest scoring game of the year?
A 25-6 win over Sweetbriar gave the Maroons their highest scoring game of the year.